The daring four USM Corps of Discovery have ventured into the unknown, encountered strange flora, fauna, and people, met with grave danger, and returned to reflect on their journey. Enjoy their memories!

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Looking Back on the Expedition - PERIOD 1 REFLECTION

So how was the trip? What is your reflection on being a member of the Corps of Discovery? Your final task is to write one complete paragraph describing the trip, using one single word as your thesis. All of your supporting details from the trip (keep it historic) should relate to your single word. The paragraph should be included in your Unit 2 notebook AND posted on the Lewis and Clark Expedition Blog in your class period. When you post your reflection, sign your first name and last initial.

THE CATCH – You cannot have the same single word thesis as any other member of your period’s Corp of Discovery.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Janel Lucas-

I believe that this expedition was very challenging. I say this because there were many tasks we had to accomplish, such as making friends with the Indians, trusting our leaders,and just fallowing our instincts. the most challenging parts were going up rivers and carrying our supplies everywhere we went. It was also hard to survive the cold weather and finding food. I was very relieved on our way back to St. Louis and when we reached the Pacific.The most interesting part was seeing the different cultures of the Idians . It was very hard to adapt to them though.

Anonymous said...

Chloe Konnor-

I believe that the expedition with my fellow explorers Lewis and Clark has been truly enlightening. The information and culture we gathered while out west will benifit this country in so many ways. Though it was a hard journey and we faced many challenges, it was a fabulous way to educate ourselves and the people of America. The Native Americans provided information that is new and fascinating for the country. The information and maps will help promote agriculture and settlement in the west.

Anonymous said...

I thought that the journey was long and hard. We faced so much with the weather. That was my least favorite part.
Sophie Vick

Anonymous said...

I believe this expedition was succesfull. Even though we had our ups and downs in the trip I believe that with the new plants and animals we found we have a better understanding of the west. Many great things shall come out of this expedition!

John Schwieters

Anonymous said...

I believe that this expedition was difficult. We had some tough times getting through the long trip but it was worth it to our country. Our difficulties included cold weather, small amounts of food, finding a way to get back to ST. Louis, and making peace with indians. It was important for us to make this trip though, becauase we made peace with the indians, made several maps of the area, and discovered many different types of animals and plants. This was overall a difficult but very important trip.

Jake Watton

Anonymous said...

I believe that this expedtition was worthwhile. The things we learned and saw during our journey were definetly worth the time and effort we put in to make it succeed. Our country will now be able to use this land wisely and we will also be able to trade much more with the Indians.

Nishad Agrawal

Anonymous said...

I believe that this expedition was experimental. By sending out Lewis and Clark we were able to expand our nation by claiming the oregon territory. Also we now have a better understanding and more knowledge of this undiscovered land.

Anonymous said...

Maddie P. ^

Anonymous said...

I believe that the expedition was very beneficial. We didn't find an all water route to the Pacific, but the information that we gained was priceless. We mapped the country we explored, charted, and went to undiscovered places. Our journey will also help open up the West for trade and the relationships we built with the Indians will be useful when trading. We also discovered the Oregon country, which is yet to be claimed. I can see expanding the U.S. even more... Overall, this expedition provided us with lots of information that will be very useful in the future for the growth and prosperity of our nation.

Anonymous said...

Elka D ^

Anonymous said...

I thought our journey was very productive. We made peace with the indians, so we can trade with them. We also found a route to the Pacific Ocean. Although this journey was very hard I am glad that I participated in it because I feel that discovering the west will help the United States in so many different ways. I know that I learned so much on this journey; including new types of plants, and animals, and also I got to meet different Indian tribes that we can trade with.

- Serena S.

Anonymous said...

-Colin H.

The expedition was very treacherous. There were many things that we didn't expect to find and we weren't aware of much of the danger that lied ahead of us. It was a successful journey in the end.

Anonymous said...

I believe that this expedition was helpful. Our great country has just purchased a great deal of new land, and without this expedition, we would have had no idea what was out in our newly purchased land. We met many new indian tribes, who we have now established strong trade relations with along with learning the geography and plants that this new land possesses. -Tommy A

Anonymous said...

i believe this expedition was a great resorce. I believe this is a great rescorce for expanding trade with the native americans and different coubntries. It was a great resorce into the Native American culture and which tribes are friendly and which arent. it helped us understand the terrain and the plant and animal life and realize that not all of the new world was forest.another example of how it was a great reasorce is we discovered many new plant and animal life we had never seen before. this helped us learn what to stay a away from a.k.a. grizzly bears.
-Nicole H.

Anonymous said...

I thought that the expedition was incredible. The reason why I say this is because many new landscapes never explored by Americans has just been found. It was amazing how many new kinds of animals there were lurking in the western side of the country. The mountains were unbelievable not just their enormous height, but also the natural beauty that is accomodated with them. So all in all, it was an incredible journey!
Joey J.

Anonymous said...

~Cristina R.~

I thought the journey was pleasurable. There are many things we discovered. We met so many Native Americans and almost all were peaceful! I have never had so mush fun in my life. Lewis and Clark are both great leaders! I have incredible stories to tell when i get home. The views were wonderful! The amzing height of the mountains, the beautiful clearnessof the waters, the peacefulness of the prairies, they were all fantastic. I have beautiful memories to tell my relatives and friends. All of the explorers and myself of course, have endured so much together i hope we all stay good friends.

Anonymous said...

I believe that this expedition was very tough. There were many things that we had to accomplish to fulfill our journey. We had to make friends with the Indians, find an all way water route to the Pacific, and many other things. Only one of our men died, but it was still one too many. It was very hard to survive the harsh weather and the limit of food. Although it was very hard, i feel so honored to have gone along with Lewis and Clark on their expedition.

Anonymous said...

^Mariah S.

Anonymous said...

Fady B.
I thought this expedition was exciting until we got to the ocean. I thought this because if we had found an all water route to the Pacific Ocean we would have been made heroes because we had found a water route that would save a lot time instead of going around South America just to trade with Asia.

Anonymous said...

Nathan F.-

This expedition was quite thrilling. It was fun, educational, and cold. I had a lot of fun getting chased by bears and having to dance and say "Ocean and View oh the Joy!!" so the expedition was very fun, it made me understand the adventures of Lewis and Clark's expedition, I think i enjoyed this because I am more of a hands on learner, so this really helped me.

Anonymous said...

Riley Pelisek
This expedition to the west was very grueling. We faced so many challenges as we trudged into the unchartered world. We faced grueling challenges throughout the entire journey. We had to trap and catch game for two years and there were not always a bountiful supply of food year-round. Also there were unknown hostile animals lurking in the wilderness. We also faced the grueling task of forming peaceful reletions with the most hostile of Indians who did not wish to see their land be siezed by white settlers. And obviously the most grueling task was physically dragging more then forty men through the deep wilderness some 4,000 miles to reach the pacific ocean through rain and snow. Physically it was very demending and definately a grueling task. Mentally the horrifying thought that as we celebrated reaching the Pacific Ocean we realized we had to travel all the way back. The expedition of the Corps of Discovery was nothing short of physically and mentally grueling.