The daring four USM Corps of Discovery have ventured into the unknown, encountered strange flora, fauna, and people, met with grave danger, and returned to reflect on their journey. Enjoy their memories!

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Looking Back on the Expedition - PERIOD 3 REFLECTION

So how was the trip? What is your reflection on being a member of the Corps of Discovery? Your final task is to write one complete paragraph describing the trip, using one single word as your thesis. All of your supporting details from the trip (keep it historic) should relate to your single word. The paragraph should be included in your Unit 2 notebook AND posted on the Lewis and Clark Expedition Blog in your class period. When you post your reflection, sign your first name and last initial.

THE CATCH – You cannot have the same single word thesis as any other member of your period’s Corp of Discovery.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found that the expedition very intense. We had to scavenge for food, we were atacked by grizzly bears, we had to portage through the great falls, and we were atacked by the Black Feet indians. Since I was one of the youngest people on this expedition, it was hard for me to keep up.

~Sarah Severson

Anonymous said...

Dangerous. I found this expedition dangerous. We had to deal with freezing temperatures, little food, sometimes hostile Native Americans, and water falls on the Missouri. Fortunately, we only lost one life, but we could have lost a lot more.
Andrew Keuler

Anonymous said...

I found this journey challenging. I mean we had to portage are canoes over the Great Falls of the great Missouri River. Not to mention being attacked by Grizzly Bears. We also had to fight the bitter and harsh cold of the winter. Food shortages were also a problem. But after all is done I am happy to be able to say I was a part of this great journey and it was worth it completely.

-Silas Goodrich
(Milton Padway)

Anonymous said...

This has definitely been a journey to say the least. I can sum up the expedition in one word: daring. This has been a completely daring thing to do from the beginning when Lewis got attacked by the Grizzly bear. There are many more reasons exactly why the journey was daring but just some of them are that during our trip we all became fatigued, tired, sick and hungry, we could have died or been killed and we basically risked out lives and souls for two years, four months and nine days to explore new land and try to find a water route to the pacific. We also were daring by traveling in the rivers, which were lined with Indian and Native American tribes that could have attacked at any time and were daring by putting all of our faith and trust in Sacagawea to lead us through this when we didn’t know her very well.

--Gabby P.

Anonymous said...

I think that this trip was exciting. As Clark it was exciting and fun. We rode through the vast Missouri River, got attacked by the Black Feet Indians, made peace with the other Native Americans, went to the Pacific Ocean, went through the Bitterroot Mountain and was attacked by a grizzly bear. Although all of this may seem dangerous but it was more fun. This is one of the most best 2years of my life! I shall never forget this exciting trip. It was also exciting when we came back to St.Louis where everyone cheered for us. I for one have learned an enormous amount of new information. I wonder... what will happen in the future with our discovery of the Louisiana Purchase?

William Clark
-Bill Wong-

Anonymous said...

I found that this expedition was a great success. Although we did not find a water route to the Pacific Ocean, we were able to make it all across the United States, which was extremely important, especially after the purchase of Louisiana from the French. Also along the way we made a lot of great counters with the Indians that I believe will create a great relationship with them (even though we were attacked by an Indian tribe on the Missouri river on the return trip). Furthermore, the group had encountered many different animals and plants that were foreign to the East part of this vast land. One of these new animals that we have encountered was a furry little rat that lived in small holes, scattered all across a huge plot of land. Finally, we came back to the East with a lot of new information about the West and standing proud at completing the mission that President Thomas Jefferson sent us to do. It gives me great pride and honor to say that this expedition was a complete success.
-Raythan Pillai

Anonymous said...

This trip has one word wrtten all over it: suspense. Everything that happened was absolutley suspensful. I never knew if the Indians we came across were going to trade with us, not interact at all, or attack us. Mother Nature treated us with such a displeasure: Meriwether Lewis almost died on the first day of exploration. Then, he was attacked by a bear! We never knew what was going to strike us next! The roaring rapids were challenging enough that we thought we were going to lose some cargo and maybe a member or two fo the expedition! One of our men dide very early, we all thought, "Who's Next?" (by the way that's a great Who album, it's great, go out and buy it some time). We had days and days of endless work, and only to be less than partially refilled by minimal amounts of food that were scarce enough. This was usper suspenseful...heck, I'd do it all over again!

-Zack "Warfington" Schultz

Anonymous said...

Overall, I found the expedition a very beneficial experience. Upon setting off we had no idea of the scientific wonders we would discover. First, we found a number of previously unknown plant species that were very fascinating and will do goo for the scientific community in the future. Next, we discovered many kinds of species of animal that we were previously oblivious to. Imagine not knowing what was roaming your own continent! We discovered species such as the prairie dog, an intriguing species whose discovery will, no doubt, help the scientific community in many ways. We were also excited to find the great and majestic buffalo. Not only are the buffalo beneficiary to the scientific community but will add monumentally to the food source of the new west. Finally, our greatest discovery was one which was actually not a discovery at all. We found no possible water route across America. Imagine how much time and money can be saved on expeditions now that we know there is no such thing. As you can clearly see, the Lewis and Clark expedition was a wonderfully beneficial experience for the whole of the American continent.


Jack Clark- Charbonneau

Anonymous said...

If I had to some up this expedition in one word it would be, incredible. Just imagine crossing the whole united states. You would portage(carry you canoe on you back) for weeks! Every day you would see amazing sites that no one had seen before. This expedition was so important because the U.S. needs to know what people are going to be settling into. And to top it off everyone thought that they were dead and then they came back and surprised everyone.

-Henry Schlenker

Anonymous said...

The trip was great. There are many reasons why this expedition was great. The Americans had never seen this area of land. They were new to the area. As a result, they faced many challenges. They had to pass through mountains that they had never traveled through. They succeeded their goal with only one person dying. It was great, also, because it promoted peace between us(the Indians) and the Americans. This way we could receive many useful things. Another reason why this is important was because the American's discovered many new things. The majority of the men didn't recognize any of the native plants. It was great for them to learn or discover things about the world that they're isolated from. I feel great because I helped the adventurous, Americans succeed their goal. I was a symbol of peace to show neighboring Indian tribes that our group was peaceful. For those reasons, the expedition was great. I am very honored to be a part of this group.

Anonymous said...

The trip was great. There are many reasons why this expedition was great. The Americans had never seen this area of land. They were new to the area. As a result, they faced many challenges. They had to pass through mountains that they had never traveled through. They succeeded their goal with only one person dying. It was great, also, because it promoted peace between us(the Indians) and the Americans. This way we could receive many useful things. Another reason why this is important was because the American's discovered many new things. The majority of the men didn't recognize any of the native plants. It was great for them to learn or discover things about the world that they're isolated from. I feel great because I helped the adventurous, Americans succeed their goal. I was a symbol of peace to show neighboring Indian tribes that our group was peaceful. For those reasons, the expedition was great. I am very honored to be a part of this group.

-Kern Khanna (Sacagawea)

Anonymous said...

The expedition was adventurous. We never knew what we were going to come across of. There were new adventures in very twist in a river. Every peek we had to climb. Even when finding new animals. It took guts and bravery when climbing down steep cliffs, running from bears, and meeting to tribes. It was risky but it was totally worth it. It lead us to new discoveries and ideas about the west.

-Emily W

Anonymous said...

Surprising, is what I would call this expedtion. What surprised me the most was all the different types of Native Americans. What was the least surprising to me was that their wasn't a all water route to the Pacific Ocean. The reason I say that is because that is a long distance from St.Louis.Another thing that surprised me was all the different animals. One thing is that some animals were really strong and big like the so called buffalo and grizzly bears. Their was also prarie dogs that lived under ground. That was really surprising because what happens when it rains and mud gets in the hole or if the hole cavs in. In my opinion this trip was a surprise from the start.

By: Robert Schmidt

Anonymous said...

I feel that the expedition was stimulating. It really was a good way to help people understand and remember what happened. From hunting for food to jessica getting chased by a grizzly bear to finding the ocean,(puddle) it was all fun and exciting. This activity stimulated my interest in Louis and Clark's expedition.
-Regan Cary

Anonymous said...

If I were to describe the journey in one word, I would say it was productive. When we arrived home, we came back with much information. First of all, we discovered that there was no water route to the Pacific Ocean. However, we did find multiple land routes. Secondly, we provided many maps of the Louisiana Territory and beyond. Now we know what the land is like, how to get there, and how long it takes to get there. Lastly, we brought back samples and information about the animals and plants of the region. One of the animals we discovered was the prairie dog. For being only the first American group to explore this region, I'd say that the amount of information we gathered made our trip very productive.

Anonymous said...

If I were to describe the journey in one word, I would say it was productive. When we arrived home, we came back with much information. First of all, we discovered that there was no water route to the Pacific Ocean. However, we did find multiple land routes. Secondly, we provided many maps of the Louisiana Territory and beyond. Now we know what the land is like, how to get there, and how long it takes to get there. Lastly, we brought back samples and information about the animals and plants of the region. One of the animals we discovered was the prairie dog. For being only the first American group to explore this region, I'd say that the amount of information we gathered made our trip very productive.

-Nathan G.

Anonymous said...

I found the experience very educational. It was educational because we learned all about what Lewis and Clark went through. We learned what challenges they had to overcome, and we learned what things they had to adapt to. Also, Lewis and Clark learned all about the plants, animals, and people living out in the west. Overall it was a very educational experience.
-Andrea R

Anonymous said...

i believe that the journey was necessary. it was very important to see all the land that is now ours. It was also necessary to discover that there is no water route to the pacific so we don't spend time looking later when we need resources for other things. it was also necessary that we make good trade partners with the indians so we are able to trade with them in the future.
John G

Anonymous said...

If I were to describe this expedition in one word, I would say it was outstanding!We searched for food scrambeled through freezing weather and i got attacked by a grizzly bear!I enjoyed all of the exitement,it was really fun!

^JESS!CA^

Anonymous said...

My reflection word for the expedition would be captivating. Even though it was tough and long, with turn we had new surprises and adventures. From Black Feet Native Americans, the Great Falls(portaging sucks),getting attacked by a Grizzly bear to Lewis getting shot in the butt, I found this experience interesting and captivating. You should take 4,500 mile expedition some time!!!

*Heidi Affi*

Anonymous said...

I found the entire expedition to be crucial. It is so important because if we had not gone on an exploration of the west, we would not of made relationships with the western Native American tribes. We also wouldn't of had correct maps of the U.S., which includes the Louisiana Purchase. Though this expedition wasn't successful in the hopes of finding a water route to the Pacific Ocean, I thought this expedition was beneficial to our country but also extremely dangerous, I would sum it up by saying it was crucial. Also, if we hadn't gone on it, the history of our country might of been very different.
-Samantha Kohl